The choreography is prepared, your technique is strong, and you have been rehearsing in preparation for your upcoming performance/competition. Go through this checklist and make sure you are applying the following ways to improve your dance routine(s).
Dance Routine Checklist
- Perform! Have a backstory, and use your movement to convey a story.
- Let your energy flow all the way through your fingers and toes. Don’t let your energy stop at your wrists or ankles.
- Connect your transitions. Keep the “in-between” moments fluid and purposeful, as you transition from one important sequence to another.
- Stretch, and elongate your lines to their fullest. Relax the shoulders, and don’t let yourself get tense!
- Let your timing and musicality be second nature. Play your music on repeat until you know it by heart.
- Keep the eyes up! Recognize when you have opportunities to connect with the audience, and use them to enhance your performance.
- Strengthen your arms. Let them have as much purpose as your feet!
- Confidently execute the movement. Know your weak sections and adjust/rehearse until they are no longer weak.
- Perfect your turn preparation, execution, and landing.
- Manage your nerves, and dance for YOU!